Monday, April 18, 2011

Blessed.

‎"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

I have always been scared of tornadoes. My grandmother who grew up in Iowa Used to tell me about hem coming across their farm and the chickens just running around after wards. Then on a trip to Iowa, we saw my my cousins farm which was used in the movie twister. I think my fear of them also stems from the fact they aren't predictable. I tend to pace and think worst case during a watch not to mention a warning.

This weekend was as close as I ever plan to come to another one again. I know that we are SO fortunate and that our damage and the damage surrounding us is nothing compared to the people who lost their homes or the lives.

It was quite an experience. I had heard that we would have warnings and chances in the morning but this looked fine so I went about my day, shopping, cleaning and a quick manicure when Adam got home. The first salon told me I would have to wait for 25 minutes, normally I would have waited but decided that I was too impatient so I went to another place. As, my nails were getting finish Adam texted me tell me we had a "watch" for the next 3 hours. In the car headed home it was pretty wind and I heard on the radio of the warning close to our county. As I walked in the house, the news was on I and I realized, we were in the path.

To calm my nervous energy I did what any person does, and began cleaning. Adam wouldn't give me too many details other than to put pillows, blankets, flashlight and water in the bathroom. I added, Laurel's bed, the iPad, and the nursing pillow. We changed B's diaper for good measure. Adam began closing the blinds. (he got in bathrooms a lot as a child where I never did)I told H he got to play Angry Birds and he jumped a the chance to join me in the bathroom. Adam stayed out watching the news, informing me it was close, (5mins) fast, 70mph and coming right at us. The power went out, Adam joined us. I knew it was bad when he told me he had the external hard drive to the computer. As the wind picked up and it sounded like hail, the sky (lighting in house) tinted green, I heard a shake and thought the desk furniture was being pushed. I asked Adam to pray, when he told me he did I infomred him I meant out loud for all of us. I was nursing B, which thinking back how would I have leaned over her and H? The after the shake it was quiet. Too quiet. The it was sunny, over done. Adam did the inspection, "I was yelling is it done is it done?!" Meaning are there more. My phone went crazy with friends asking if we were ok. Adam commenting on our neighbors small bush that was gone then I hear him say, "Oh my gosh." over and over laughing. He told me my tress was gone. "Christmas tree?" "No but its gone too." In my mind teh desk was gone. H ran out to see thats when I learned the big ole pine I always envisioned cutting the house was over, the right direction.

We drove around saw sad sites, learned the tornado was in fact in front of our neighborhood. We still can't use the main entrance nor get to one side of 55. The tree went the right way. We did pull a limb out of the ground that was 2 1/2 feet deep. Adam called it death. It normally take me a few days to process tragedy, and today it had caught up with me. The sarcastic comments are gone now its time to be grateful, thankful and in awe of what God did for us.

Although I will say, I now want tarps, and loud wind make me jump.







No comments:

Post a Comment