Sunday, February 19, 2012

The power of do.

Often when people ask me, "How do you run that?" I reply, I don't know I just do. Often times leading up to a race or a ling run, I think, "I cannot do this."

This weekend I ran my first race solo. Me and me alone. I must admit, on Friday night before the race I was freaking out. I kept thinking, "That 10 you did killed you. - Last week you barely made 6 Shannon.- You know it's going to be cold right." Well 4:50am came around and i felt refreshed. I got over the fact I had no peanut butter, and thought well lets go. I braided my hair extra tight with the 1 bobby pin I had and told my dad i was ready. He had to drop me off at the race and let me know he was upset he wouldn't see me. I told him it was OK and I'd see him when I was done. (Also, the night before in my grumpiness, I told him if it took me more than 2:27, he was going to have to avoid me.)

As I walked alone up to the starting area, they began playing Lady Gaga, I found myself calm. I found my place in line and waited. I didn't even feel dumb all alone, only slightly disturbed by the man who said he was 68 and in front of me, plus he had AMAZING legs.

As, the national anthem played i got teary eyed, this was the beginning of a race that would show me so much more.

As we rounded the first mile a man helping another man off the curb caught my eye. This is when I realized the runner was blind. He was flanked by too friends with one tether. This man was also running the half. I was amazed and teary eyed again. With the amazing lyrics from Glee, I felt myself pushing on to the blue balloon in the distance. After mile 4 i came to a family of four, how cute i thought mom, dad, sister and brother running a half marathon together, thoughts of one day that being my family came to mind, when I saw it. The boy who was about 13, was a child with autism, his dad was whispering to him the whole time. OK yes I pretty much lost it. Incredible.

I pushed on being so motivated by my surroundings. I felt no pain and decided to no longer hold back the speed my body wanted. It paid off, dad and the kids did show up at mile 10. Beastie Boys and once again the same Glee song shoved me off and I bolted (as in as fast as Shannon can go) through mile 12 and 13. At point one I finally felt the high I had heard of. This finish line was special to me, I was energized at the end of the race, I beat 2:27 and I did it alone.

I guess, I am sharing this because of the do factor. Lately my "doing" has been a lot, not only the work and being a mom, but a lot of behind the scenes. The past week I have wanted to quit. A LOT. And some nights i have, just moving to bed at 8:00. Its been hard, and stressful, and I am not though it yet. But I do see the power of the doing and after seeing what I saw and accomplishing the race all.by.myself. I feel a little peace. And at this rate I am going to take all the peace I can get.

*Dad told me later in the day he was pretty sure by my mood Friday night I would not be running.
** Official time proves I have no clue about time and I finished in 2:16. My next goal is to do 2:00.
***If you think Glee is lame then you obviously did not see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment