Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How many miles makes a...

Running has been my “hobby” for 3 years now. I was never a runner before H was born, and to this day I sometimes battle with even calling myself a runner. I think I hold “runners” on some pedestal. But what makes a person a runner? Someone who has done it since high school? I don’t know, but I feel weird saying I am one. I do not think I look like a runner. I don’t have the defined legs and the lack of body fat, nor those amazing arms. I’m embarrassed in a swimsuit and shorts - but I can go run 15 miles in a morning. See my inner struggle?
I began running because I wanted to lose baby weight. It worked. I ran a full marathon and from that one until I was pregnant with B I did a half every other month because I didn’t want to lose my ability. After B I ran a half. I was not prepared as she was only born 6 months prior; I was not training as needed so I was angry at my time. I did a full after she was 1 then I started my every-other-month half marathon plan.
This past weekend I finished a half at a time that was surprising since I did more walking. Up until this weekend, getting a good time never really crossed my mind. I can only run if I have a race. Something about spending the money makes me do it. I have only not ran once I paid for it, but that was because the doctor told me to.

Finding myself reaching a new goal is hard: I have to admit I don’t really want to. I don’t really love running. But I do love the after-the-run. I do love the distance I accomplished on my feet. I love that H wants to run races, and he finishes mine with me if he is allowed.
I think the question still remains - am I a runner yet? Because as far I am concerned this little boy is.

No comments:

Post a Comment