Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Men

I am one of the lucky people in the world. I have had inspirational men in my life at all times. They have been huge role players in the person I have become. And I am not a man. I think that the benefit of a good, strong man in anyone’s life is so important. They teach us how to be treated, how to work, how to build and how to think in a way most women do not. I know personally that people thought I’d marry a man like my father, but when they saw my husband’s stature they were shocked. But my mom said it best. Adam is like her father. And he is. Strong and silent. He is my rock.

My grandfathers have taught me about lifelong love and it does exist. They taught me no matter what the job and how unglamorous it is you do it. You do it for your family and for yourself. They taught me that even if someone is not blood related they are your family and you take them in and take care of them.

They taught me to dance, laugh at sadness, joke, and to stand up for myself. Not to say that the women in my life haven’t taught me these things too, but the men in my life have taught me different skills. Women are emotional creatures, and that is ok, but the men I have been around have been solid. Yes they have emotions and yes I have seen them upset, but that’s the thing they taught me - it is ok to feel. They taught me what to expect from a husband and how to “catch” one. They have helped forge the way we will raise our son and how I teach him, you open the door for people.

When it comes to loss and losing, or seeing them very sick and weak, it hits me in a harder deeper place. Daddy’s girl by far, grandpa’s at that. The men in my life have been friends. Best friends, brothers and sons to each other. When my father’s dad died, my mom’s dad was a wreck, and he immediately told my dad, you are my son now.

I don’t know how I could be any other person without them. I truly believe that they didn’t teach me to be a princess and expect diamonds. They taught me to be respected, loved, and cherished. They taught me love will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment